Posted to alt.home.repair
Seth Goodman Seth Goodman is offline

Default PC antivirus software question

In article on Tue, 12 Aug 2008
12:35:05 -0700, Tony wrote:

Seth Goodman wrote:
Another two cents - most AV suites have free trials - *definitely* try
before you buy!

Other than whether or not you like the user interface, how do you know
if it is doing a good job -- or doing anything?

"Try before you buy" to:

a) As you say, check if you like the interface,
b) make sure it doesn't grind your system to a halt,
c) make sure there are no incompatibilities with software on your
system.

As to how well (or if) it's working - you can start with an eicar test
(http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm) and GRC's leaktest
(http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm). There are more advanced tests you
can try, too, though I don't have any bookmarks handy to cite.

I also suggest reading the av-comparatives web site:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

--
Seth Goodman