Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default PC antivirus software question

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 11:36:58 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 8/12/2008 11:23 AM spake thus:

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 14:09:58 -0400, "Smarty"
wrote:

wrote in message

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 12:53:18 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:

I'm a wondering what everyone is using for AV software. I've
been using Trend micro pc-cillin for a few years, but it seems
the 2008 version is not great. My local pc hardware guy agrees
and recommends Kaspersky 2008 Internet Security. Anyone heard
of or used this one?

thanks for all your input.

What is "not so great" about what you are using?

Get and read the latest issue of Consumer Reports. They did an extensive
comparison and rated many antivirus suites both free and for sale. They
liked BitDefender very much, were surprisingly down on Norton/Symantec (the
suite I use) and also down on Trend PCCillin, the product I previously used
but found way too slow and buggy.

Those who rely on Consumer Reports for reliable, honest, and accurate
analysis of ANYTHIING, deserve what they get.

And why is that? Please explain. As I understand it, they actually
*test* the products that they compare, which is more than can be said
for a lot of the idle speculators one hears from, oh, I don't know, in
forums like this ...

The root problem is that their testing "methods" are completely
laughable.

If you want to believe they have a clue, then by all means, follow
them wherever they go.