Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Tablesaw popped fuse/breaker

Eigenvector wrote:

In a way that is reassuring. It tells me that the outlet that it was
plugged into was the principle cause. It was certainly hot that day and
the saw isn't on a dedicated circuit so it sounds like this was a case
of not getting sufficient voltage and having the make up the difference
with amperage.

Possible, perhaps even likely, but certainly not conclusive...

We're still lacking any information whatsoever on the size of the motor,
breaker rating, whether it actually was the breaker that tripped or the
thermal overload on the motor, etc., etc., etc., ...

So, all 'tis speculation at this point...

I know the circuit itself is fine, I run 10/2 to all the shop 110V
outlets both to minimize line loss and to provide an extra margin of
safety. But I never considered the source of the power to be suspect.

What breaker size and motor size, current rating? There's the key...

I'll have to ponder the headaches of getting a permit to switch out to
220 - but it sounds like in my case that is the best thing to do.

You'd have to have a permit to simply pull a 220V circuit? What would
be entailed in the run--if the panel has room and unless is in another
location that would require an external run (say from house to
unattached garage or similar), can't see why it wouldn't be something
couldn't be done under most dispensations in code/permit requirements
I've seen that have provisions for single-owner households for homeowner
work.