Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stuart & Kathryn Fields Stuart & Kathryn Fields is offline

Default sorta OT - Back Attack

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
Bloody Hell - my back has gone out again, its recurrent - usual thing,
3rd disc injured, had it for years. Goes out sometimes, especially if
I forget about it when lifting something - even bending down to pick
up me socks, and as for swapping over BIG chucks on the lathe, well,
forget it....

Usual treatment - go and see the physiotherapist, take lots of anti-
inflammatory drugs, complain a lot till it gets better.

You guys are in the same age group (most of you) and most blue collar
workers are carrying some sort of injury due to bloody well working
and doing more than pushing a pen (yeh, I know - paper cuts can be
awful!! - I sympathise with ya)

So - what do you people do about crook backs - don't want to go
anywhere near a surgeon, seen too many people made worse.

Homespun remedies, exercises, herbal magic - there must be something
that works, cause western science aint too good on this one.

Andrew VK3BFA.

I used to be mostly blue collar (actually grimy fiberglassed collar) + no
collar student time. Now I'm more or less white collar more or less most
of the time, and I hurt my back a _lot_ more often. Why? Because I
forget to keep it in shape, then I go pick up a starter, or a gate, or
something else that weighs over my limit on that particular day.

I think the only way to avoid back and knee problems is to send a Request
for Engineering Assistance up to heaven, to ask God to please change the
prints on our fish-out-of-water musculo-skeletal structure.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Yep in my 70s with 1 back injury from parachute opening @ 200mph. Several
get-offs from a 400cc Husqvarna and now some lower back injury from a
helicopter crash. Yes I have some sympathy. However, we stumbled on to a
anti-inflamatory over the counter that we have used. We shared this with a
friend who was taking Vicodin for his back problems. He has since quit the
Vicodin. The other thing is excersizes. Both back and stomach excersizes
seem to help. I haven't had even one of those seizures that brings tears to
your eyes and just about completely incapacitates you since I started with
the Phenocane. Moved, by hand, several 80# sacks of Sakcrete the other day.
Stu