Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.engineering.maintenance
Siskuwihane Siskuwihane is offline

Default Please help Burnham RSM-126 oil furnace won't heat hot waterafter vacation

On Aug 12, 10:24*am, Donita Luddington wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 06:43:03 -0700 (PDT), Siskuwihane wrote:
bleed the pump if it has lost its prime (single fuel line system).
http://www.wikihow.com/Restart-a-Fur...ing-out-of-Oil

Great! Finally some help for a lost soul! I very much appreciate the
pointer. That's all I was looking for, which was the most common cause and
a possible diagnosis technique.

I'm at work but when I get home, I'll try it. I can't do it until I get
home though as there's nobody there to help me. All I have is you, thank
God.

Do you think turning it off for my vacation could have been what made it
"lose it's prime"?

That's possible.

There is only so much the average home owner can do and you can
troubleshoot up to a certain point.

The first thing I check when having problems is my fuel level. Gauges
are known to stick and show full in the tank when it's empty or near
empty. Fuel level can be checked by tapping the tank side, dipping the
tank with a stick or unscrewing the gauge site and physically moving
the fuel level indicator to see if it is indeed stuck.

After I have confirmed I have fuel, I check to see if any is getting
to my burner either by sight or smell. I open
the little glass port and when my burner is trying to fire, I can see
fuel being sprayed into (or not) the combustion chamber. If I am not
getting fuel and I know I have fuel in my tank I will then bleed my
pump. If that fails (and it usually doesn't) I know I may have an
obstruction or pump problem.

If I am getting fuel and it's not firing then I check to see if I am
getting spark but this is the point that you should call for help.
If you have fuel, everytime you press that red button it will be
spraying fuel into your combustion chamber and pretty soon you have
unburned fuel pooling up in there and that's not something you want
when you eventually get it to fire.