Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default FWIW - OT MESSAGE HEADERS

Rod & Betty Jo wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:

My first XT(Amstrad) computer came with Digital Research's ver. of DOS and
GEM (a early graphical interface)....it became a far more useful machine
with Microsoft's DOS and WORKS ....easily doing payroll, billing and
contracts for my business......Gates held no gun to my or anyone's
head....the market place clearly chose his products.

Nope, IBM chose his product. Actually, he didn't even have a product
when IBM chose his "product".

His competitors for
many years were all well larger, better placed and better
funded.....including IBM (world largest computer company then).......

IBM was not his competitor, IBM was his savior.

think his then little company conquered all by nefarious means is simple
ignorance.

Unless you are aware that his millionaire parents, particularly his mom,
was tight with the chairman of IBM when they made the unbelievable
decision to give him the contract for an operating system he didn't even
have until after they gave him the contract.

Incidentally his insistence to own and sell DOS and license it to
IBM instead of selling it to IBM is why we have and had a very competitive
PC business. Rod

Well, we are talking Operating Systems not PC business.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com