Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow Mike Marlow is offline

Default Cut window in garage door

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Aug 11, 10:53 am, Andrew Sarangan wrote:
Is it possible to cut out a window on a regular garage door? I need to
install a fresh-air intake grille for an exhaust fan, and the garage
door appears to be the best location.

I am not sure what the construction material is, but the outer skins
appear to be somewhat flexible, so I am thinking it is a thin steel
skin with an open cavity inside (or foam).

Any suggestions?

I would suggest a circular hole, or two smaller ones some distance
apart.
Circular openings retain much more strength and have no stress risers
in the corners.
If you keep them lower, towards the bottom of the door, the structural
concerns lessen somewhat.
Look for a round device to move your air.

I would suggest a little investigation into the amount of fresh air
required. Too small a vent will offer no advantage over just using inside
air.

--

-Mike-