Kruppt

Default Band Mill Plan Query

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 03:15:42 GMT, Kruppt
pixelated:

http://www.smnet.net/pmwinston/Mill/thumbnails.html -my first mill

Pretty cool. Did you have fun building that? /rhetoric What kind of
mileage do you get from those tires? That Gravely "riding" log
splitter is a hoot.

LOL! Mileage? The tires will out live me I'm sure. Yes, I did enjoy
building the mill/s. Yeah, the Gravely splitter makes my wood splitting
chores around here a little easier.

http://www.smnet.net/pmwinston/Kruppt/thumbnails.htm -recent others

2 questions on the http://www.smnet.net/pmwinston/Kruppt/sawmill03.jpg
pictu Is that a blade engaging lever on top, and didn't you get
thickness fluctuations by having the flat track getting sawdust under
the carriage wheels? I noticed that most of the others had vertical
tracks. (Or was it there but I couldn't see it?)

The saw in the picture here is being built by a well known boat
designer/builder from Vermont, it is not a mill I built. He is going to
saw lumber for a house he has started building. In these pictures the
mill has not been fully completed. I helped him via email in the process
of building it. The lever on top of the saw carriage is a idea I came up
with, he liked it, so he built one for his, it is not part of Bill's
original plans. When you complete a cut, you push down on this lever and
it raises the sawhead 1" or so up from the cant, so the blade does not
rub or catch on the cant when running the sawhead back for the next cut.
When you release the lever the sawhead sets exactly at the same place
you were on your last cut/setworks, so you can do quick calcs for your
next cut/board.

As far as sawdust under the carriage wheels. It does not show up well in
the pictures, but the v-caster wheels on the carraige ride on top of a
1" by 1" by 1/4" angle iron. The legs of the 1" angle rest on top of the
3" leg of the 3" by 5" by 1/4" angle in this position ^ . That said,
the v-caster carraige wheels ride on top of this smaller angle where no
sawdust collects.(falls off the 45 degree incline) You can saw all you
want and the dust does not settle on the angle, and cause accuracy
problems. Most of the sawdust is shot away from the mill up 10-15 ft. to
the side of the mill, very little dust ends up around the track section,
to the point of the track being buried in dust.

http://www.homemadebandsawmill.com/ -Bill Rake

Judging by this statement, some of the questions he fielded must have
been doozies. "Must be able to Cut, Weld and THINK." Har!

LOL!, yeah I'm sure he has. When I purchased the "plans" a while back,
(he was not on the web at the time, saw one of his mills in a sawmill mag)
all he had were some pictures of various mills he had made, and the
components in a 21 page booklet.(very sparse on measurements) It was not
a "plan" in the normal sense most people think of, when you think of
plans/blueprints where every detail is spelled out for you.
All measurements were not there, you had to figure these out for
yourself. Since that time he has added much more to his plans.
There are more drawings, measures, and helps I have heard. I have
heard from others, that a person can email him during the building process,
and he will assist you, if you can not figure something out for yourself,
(if a person is of the type that needs to know the "measures and abouts"
for everything) That said, I think that is what he means by being able to
THINK.

Kruppt