Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Lupton[_2_] Steve Lupton[_2_] is offline

Default Wiki: 2 way mains lead

wrote:
Another article in the writing for your input...

2 way mains lead

Mains leads are available with 2x IEC connectors run from one plug.
These save sockets and space when running computers, AV systems, etc.

.... which are readily available from computer stores and DIY stores ...

This article shows how to make these socket saving leads, and
discusses how to do so safely.

I don't think it's possible to do it properly and safely.

The cord grip in a normal plug is designed for a single cable and the
inside of the plug will rarely have enough space for two sets of
conductors to be .

Few people need
instructions on how to fit a plug, but when it comes to 2 leads in one
it isn't as easy, and some extra issues need considering.

I'd say the main consideration would be that it is not worth the hassle!

There is a really simple question I think which can be used to determine
whether or not something is a good idea.

1) Would you do it at a place of work? Or to take the example further, a
school?

2) Would you be happy if you had paid a professional to do some work and
they did this?

I'd say the answer to both of those questions is no, therefore it's
really not a good idea.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I really like the DIY Wiki and
appreciate all the hard work people put into it - especially yourself. I
just don't think this is a good article as it is not advocating good
practice.

Steve