Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Cutting a tree lying in a stream

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 12:20:59 -0400, "Special Ed" martin@kallikak
wrote:

1) Specifically, if I cut it into 4 sections, one of the cuts would be
where the trash is piled up, above the water line. Is it necessary
to get that stuff out of there before cutting? (IIRC the major reason
for not cutting a log on the ground was dulling the blade and the saw
being pulled out of your hands, neither of which would apply here.)

Since you will be using a rental saw, why are you so worried if you dull the
chain?

I don't treat rental tools worse than I would treat my own.

They'll quick-sharpen it back up when you return it.

But if that's the case, that they'll sharpen it anyhow, it's much less
of a consideration, maybe not at all.

As to size, any chain saw with a 10" blade probably says Mattel on the side-
so go with a big one that has an engine to match.

My 8" electric does real well on 6 to 8" logs.

From the overall tone of your post, are you sure you have the skill to
tackle this project? If you got to the local Mickey D's around 11:15 AM and
asked the first Mexican landscape crew that pulled in if they want to make a
fast $50, they'd do it for you in a heartbeat-- especially if you sprung for
a couple of Big Macs and fries...

Thanks for the advice, and to all of you, whether you encouraged me or
discouraged me.

It's complicated, and not really a home.repair topic. But still, I'll
explain. There is little need for me to do this, and after the
discouragement, probably I won't. The log and the problem are not
mine but a neighbor's, possibly the daughter or girlfriend the
"architecture" chairman, and doing a favor for her might be
appreciated (Plus I'd get to rent a chain saw.)

Plus, the plan they have now is to come in with some sort of vehicle
(or big machine?) from 600 feet further down the stream, past my
house, and I don't want them messing up the parts of the stream that
goes by and near my house. Fortunately for me, the property owner 600
feet down has refused to let them enter. The new idea is that he has
to let them because we have iirc an easement of necessity. Whether we
do or not, whether they pursue that or not, I think it's stupid.

If I can't do it, someone else can easily carry a chain saw down a
tinye hill through 10 feet of brush, across 10 feet of stream less
than a foot deep when it's not raining, and cut the tree into pieces.
Or come in from the other side which is 40 feet but with no thick
brush. The spot is very accessible. What crackpot plan requires
them to go in from 600 feet downstream, I'm afraid to ask.

(Because if I ask and if it's as stupid as it must be, I don't think
I'll be able to keep from saying, That's so stupid.)