Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Cutting a tree lying in a stream

On Aug 11, 9:10*am, mm wrote:
A 16" diameter tree fell across a stream and a neighbor doesn't like
it because leaves, sticks, etc. and some plastic bottles, like retail
water bottles, and other soft plastic and a few aluminimum cans pile
up behind the log, and she says it smells some times.

1) Specifically, if I cut it into 4 sections, one of the cuts would be
where the trash is piled up, above the water line. * Is it necessary
to get that stuff out of there before cutting? *(IIRC the major reason
for not cutting a log on the ground was dulling the blade and the saw
being pulled out of your hands, neither of which would apply here.)

2) The tree is about 16 inches in diameter towards the roots, maybe 14
inches at the other end 14 feet away. *Is it better to rent an 18"
saw, which will be heavier and harder to handle, or better to rent a
10" saw which will require two cuts for each cut but will be much
easier to handle.

What happens if the chain end of the saw dips into the water while
running? * *Do I just put more oil on the chain and keep going?

Any warnings about using a gas chain saw while standing in the stream?

The log itself is not in the stream, but although I think I can avoid
it, it might be after the first or second cut.

I have an electric chain saw that would probably do this, but no way
am I going in the stream with that thing, no matter how double
insulated it is.

As others have said, you do not know enough about running a chainsaw
to tackle this job but to answer a couiple questions:

There is no additional danger due to running one while standing in
water AS LONG AS YOUR FOOTING IS SECURE.

The bar/chain getting into the water will result in you getting wet,
very wet. You also need to dry the saw off thoroughly and give all
metal surfaces a light coat of oil after finishing.

Harry K