Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] celticsoc@aol.com is offline

Default Toilet Tank, Meet Toilet Bowl...

On Aug 6, 7:35*pm, SH wrote:
Quick question for the excellent folks here... *I have a toilet bowl
(American Standard Champion 4) installed correctly, on a level floor,
am ready to attach the tank (Champion 4 Skyline, an appropriate match
as per the specs). *I attach the gasket and then put the tank on the
bowl, lining up the two bolts... *The instructions state fairly
clearly that I should tighten these until the bottom of the tank comes
to rest against the support "ribs" that run along the front and back
lines of the tank. *And of course I should not tighten any more than
is necessary to correctly seat the tank. *So far, so good. *Well,
here's the problem... *When I put the tank down on the bowl, it is
leaning forward, to the extent that the tank is already touching the
front rib, and a full inch above the back rib. *(I mentioned that it's
the right tank for the bowl, and that the bowl is perfectly level,
right?) *I can try to rock the tank back a bit as I tighten the bolts,
but even if I tighten WAY TOO MUCH, I'm still not getting the tank
anywhere near level. *I say "WAY TOO MUCH" here because I've already
SHATTERED one tank attempting to attach it. *No fun, and I'm sure a
great affront to every home repairman in this group. *I'm really not a
total idiot, I promise. *But I'm on the second tank here, and I'd
really like to avoid the same problem again...

Any suggestions very much appreciated! *Sincere thanks, SH

I had the same problem witha Cadet 3 (American Standard). I went back
to Lowes and the guy there told me to kkep tightening, even though I
heard the crackling. I posted here, and the answers I got were to
ignore the Lowes guy (I did, without being told). What I ended up
doing was re-seating the gasket. I am guessing that you have the same
massive foam gasket I did, rather
than solid rubber. I made the mistake of putting the gasket too far
back in order to clear the ribs on the bowl mentioned in the
instructions. I re-seated it so that it came to the front of the
tank, then re-tightened. The tank straightened out automatically.