Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Do I need a third stringer for my deck stairs?

Mikepier wrote:
On Aug 11, 2:57 am, wrote:
On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:56:06 -0700 (PDT), stratford1

wrote:
I'm building a set of stairs on my deck and CANNOT seem to find a
straight answer on this. I'm using closed outside stringers spaced 36"
and will use metal tread brackets to attach two 2x6 treads for each
stair. Some info I've found says I DO need a third stringer in the
middle for support...others have suggested I DO NOT need a third
stringer as long as my span isnt longer than 36". Any suggestions on
this? Will my 2x6s hold up ok or should I do the third stringer
regardless to make my stairs stronger?

My porch steps are almost 48" wide and I only have 2 stringers.
However my steps are one solid 2x12, not two 2x6's. Of course I only
have 2 steps because the porch is only about 2 feet high.

36" is narrower, but you're using 2x6 which is much weaker. I doubt
they will break from normal use, but if your friends are 300lbs (or
more), or you intend to move appliances on them, I'd add the middle
stringer. Or just add one anyhow because you'll have stronger steps.
The cost is not that much more unless your steps are going up 15 feet
or so.

A 2X6 maximum span is 24" , so you definately need a 3rd stringer.
I have 3 stringers on my deck stairs and the treads are 5 feet wide.

My 2 deck steps are about 4' wide using
2 - 2x6s for each step with the
stringer supports about 3' apart (6"
overhang on each side). I've never