Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] pheeh.zero@gmail.com is offline

Default converting an old rotary phone to work now

On Aug 10, 11:20*pm, wrote:
On Aug 10, 11:45*pm, "Marilyn & Bob" wrote:

"Jim Redelfs" wrote in message

In article ,
wrote:

I believe that the old rotary phones were 3 wire, not two.

That was for selective ringing on a party line.

You are correct.

Just hook the green and yellow to the green
on the new jack. Red to red.

I agree.

Yes that is exactly what I meant. *You need to connect both the green and
the yellow wires from the phone cord (thanks for the memory trigger) to the
green wire on the jack or the bell will not ring.
--
Peace,
BobJ

--
Peace,
BobJ

Since there are still many, MANY rotary phones in service out there, I
am unaware of any PUBLIC switch that does not respond to dial pulses.

Also, more and more services that, in the past, required Touchtoner
(press '1' for this, '2' for that), are converting to voice response so
an old dial pulse phone is actually returning to nearly full
functionality.

What goes around, comes around...
--
JR- Hide quoted text -

THANK YOU TO ALL - next question I have - I got the phone connected
and it works, I've received and made calls - only thing is that the
volume I Hear is low, the other person hears me fine, but the sound I
hear is low, there appears to be maybe a volume dial on the bottom of
the phone but that doesn't help - is there anything else I could do to
increase the volume of the earpiece?

That is indeed a volume control, but it is for the bell. The only
thing that might help is a new earpiece speaker.