Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default wood treatment

wrote:
On 10 Aug,
"Angela" wrote:

I have a new house that's partly clad with Douglas Fir (just over a half at
a guess). The developer said that the cladding would last about 10 years.
I hate to think of the expense to re-clad the house but I can't believe
that if it is looked after it should last a lot longer. When it was
raining yesterday I looked at my cladding which was getting wet yet my
shed treated with cuprinol Duckback just had the water rolling off it so
it got me wondering if there was something similar which could be applied
to my cladding, only I don't want to change the colour.

Neighbour got Douglas fir when his house was built 30 years ago. Still as
good as new. Probably had a couple of coats of B&Qs fimest in the intervening
years.

Mine was done (at the same time) with softwood cladding, and is still ok, but
has been done with a version of wood preserver a couple of times. it always
seems to absorb the rain, but no rot, and I won't change it until I get round
to improving the insulation behind but I might then refit it).

It should last a hundred years at least, with the odd coat of preservative
(preferably creosote if you can get it).

Thats the point: wood above ground that only get the odd shower on it
lasts: Its where water collets that problems start.

e.g I have a 15 year old shed I have done NOTHING to apart from refelt
it twice.

where soil piled up against te base, I have rotten wood. Where a poor
bit of felt let water through, I have a rotten floorboard.

Everywhere else is 100% OK.

My mother had a cedar wendy house for about - what- 40 years..in fact I
think its still there ..got splash of cuprinol every other year. As
long as the rain dont linger, its fine.