Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default UV for killing bacteria in water

In article hu7nk.65714$nD.55685@pd7urf1no, Tony Hwang wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
wrote:
What's the cleanest (from the harmful crap like bacteria/lead/etc)
bottled water anyone? Bay area tap water has high counts of bacteria &
floride. And is it true a simple UV light will kill 99.9% of bacteria
in water? TIA.

Right. You can put almost any (relatively clear) water in a clear plastic
bottle, put the bottle in the sun for a few hours, and, presto, sterilized
water.

Hmmm,
Plastic bottle? I wouldn't. I'd with glass bottle.

The glass used for making bottles also blocks UVC and even most UVB.

Then again, I have doubt about sterilizing water with a light source
that does not exterminate plankton in shallow ponds.

- Don Klipstein )