Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chris F.[_2_] Chris F.[_2_] is offline

Default Projection CRT Coolant Leak

Got this massive RCA projection set (CTC-195 chassis) in the other day,
the initial symptoms were a badly-shrunken raster and an inability to change
the channels or adjust volume. Once I got inside I noticed some strange
corrosion in a couple of places, and realized that some coolant had leaked
out of the blue CRT and dripped onto the board. The spill wasn't too bad,
and after cleaning up the board the set appears to work. The problem is that
the blue CRT has lost at least some of its coolant, and there's a risk that
more may leak out in the future. The leak seems to be around the edge of the
CRT, like it just wasn't sealed properly. There are two things I now need to
know:
1. How to add coolant, and what amount to add. These CRT's have an odd
rubber button on the side, it looks like the primer bulb on a lawn mower
engine - I'm guessing these are involved in the procedure.
2. How to seal the leak - is common silicone sealant good enough?
Thanks for any advice.