Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tanner-'op Tanner-'op is offline

Default wood treatment

Angela wrote:
I have a new house that's partly clad with Douglas Fir (just over a
half at a guess). The developer said that the cladding would last
about 10 years. I hate to think of the expense to re-clad the house
but I can't believe that if it is looked after it should last a lot
longer. When it was raining yesterday I looked at my cladding which
was getting wet yet my shed treated with cuprinol Duckback just had
the water rolling off it so it got me wondering if there was
something similar which could be applied to my cladding, only I don't
want to change the colour.

On searching I came across this product http://www.valhalco.com/
which to my uninitiated eyes looked like just what I want, however
it's a US company, so no help there. Has anyone any ideas or views
on what I can do to preserve my Douglas Fir cladding? Be kind
because if there is a solution I may just be hiring the Medway
Handiman to come and do it for me!!!
Angela

Angela,

Firstly, if the timber has been fitted in an untreated state or treated with
a sub-standard process, then I would seriously suggest that you start
budgeting for its replacement at around the 10 year mark - if not sooner if
it's in an exposed position with regards to the prevailing weather pattern.

Now as far as treatments are concerned, you could try Sikkens, Cetol (a
multi coat system)(http://www.sikkens.co.uk/en/Products/Alphabetical/) from
Akzo Nobel or Sadolin - these are very good quality, if a little pricey -
but if applied correctly by an experienced and informed painter, will give
you a minimum of 5 years protection.

As regards to the colour, any coating will alter the colour of the wood, but
if my memory serves me well, Cetol can be obtained as a 'clear coat' system
(but please don't hold me to that) :-)

Try and contact a painters merchants in your area for more information.

As a matter of interest, I have experience in the use of all three of the
products over some 20 odd years and would recommend the use of them without
hesitation.

Tanner-'op