Kruppt

Default Band Mill Plan Query

"john moorhead" wrote in
news:3SW1b.239060$o%2.108710@sccrnsc02:

Folks -

I have a couple of questions about portable band mills - for those of
you out there that own a commercial unit, e.g. a woodmizer, etc. what
specifically do you like and dislike about your saw.

I am also considering building a band mill with the assistance of my
Father in Law. He's a machinist - welder - fabricator and I've been a
gear head for some time and we have LOTS of STUFF so I think we could
build one. To that end, do any of you know of any plans or have any
of you built such a unit? I'd appreciate any feedback on that note as
well - sources of plans, pitfalls, "ah-ha!" moments and the like.

I've searched google for band mill plans and haven't been terribly
impressed with the returns - so y'all can fire away if you've got any
input.

TIA

John

I have built several based around a booklet which I purchased from Bill
Rake 7 years ago. Using brand new steel and components, you can build
the saw for about $1500 or less, powered by a brand new 13 hp engine.It
sounds like you have someone to help that has the skills to build it. A
skilled fabricator can build the saw in two full days, three at
most.Tires and wheels are balanced, and you offset the center-line of
blade guides (bearing bottoms) 3/16" to 1/4" off center-line of bottom
of tires. In doing it this way the blade under tension is kept true
between guides, even if your tires are slightly out of round. The mill
when built right will cut lumber as good as any manufactured band
sawmill. Regardless of what some have said in this thread, you can cut
veneer with this saw. If you can build the saw accurately, it will cut
accurately. Below is a link to the first I built, and the second link
are some pictures others have shared with me recently of their own
success. I am not affiliated with Bill Rake in any way, just given
credit where credit is do.

http://www.smnet.net/pmwinston/Mill/thumbnails.html -my first mill

http://www.smnet.net/pmwinston/Kruppt/thumbnails.htm -recent others

http://www.homemadebandsawmill.com/ -Bill Rake