Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Water Softeners

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:12:46 -0700, "Walter R."
wrote:

There is surprisingly little info on water softeners on Google. With most
water sources being on the hard side, I would expect a great deal of info on
ways to soften water. There is a very large number of websites which pitch
obvious frauds at high prices, such as magnetic water softeners and "ion"
softeners. Never seen anything like it.

Anyway, I would like to install a real "salt-type" water softener to combat
our hard water. Home Depot only sells a GE miniature water softener for $
449, Lowes sells a Whirlpool for $ 427. That's all in the local area (San
Diego).

The only other reputable looking brand that I could find on the web is the
Fleck 5600 series of water softeners. However, there is no factory website
for this brand.

I replaced my Fleck 5600 and moved from the manual type to a digital
model. I've had the brand in other homes, so I'm happy.

My plumber offered to replace my old, broken down softener with a Fleck for
$ 2,050, which seems excessive, considering that the unit costs only about $
400. (Very little plumbing adjustment required.) Another rip-off.

I was quoted about the same. Maybe a little more. I had the existing
loop, so all I needed was the softener. I bought the Fleck 5600
digital. Finished the job in short order. Cost me about $400.00 and
was delivered the next day from Phoenix, AZ (free shipping).

Are fewer people using/installing water softeners? Maybe I can draw on the
experience on other people in this Group?

Thanks for any input.

One occasional poster here, Gary Slusser has a web site. The site I
used was a big help with information (*) Gary has toll free or cell
phone numbers. Also search message from him in this group.

Good reading at both links.

Gary's site:

http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/

* Site I used: