Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Stevepppp@gmail.com is offline

Default UV for killing bacteria in water

On Aug 10, 8:06*am, Boden wrote:
David L. Martel wrote:
Steve,

* * There are effective UV water purifiers. These don't work on lead. I
thought fluride was good thing. There are companies that will do fairly good
water testing. Perhaps you should figure out if you have a problem before
you look for a cure.
* *Sorry, I have no opinion on bottled water.

Dave M

I know of no universal solutions. *UV sterilizers are useful, I use one
to process all of my water as it comes from my well, but you first need
to understand it's limitations. *Look at the energy/unit area required
to kill various organisms

http://www.r-can.com/download.php?file_id=359

Some are quite resistant, many organisms aren't listed here also.

A key issue is maintenance. *The internal surfaces through which UV
energy must pass must be kept clean. *The water must be clear too. *Some
water, due to particulate matter has a very high extinction coefficient.

I doubt the effectiveness of small, under counter, UV sterilizers at
anything but the very lowest flow rates.

As to materials, UV is attenuated by many glasses, plastic may be
better, but will likely be damaged by UV. *Quartz is best.

I'm thinking about strapping a small UV light to my water filter
reservoir, about a gallon big. That should do it. Doubt UV light will
harm the plastic aside from the
heat of the bulb.
Thanks.