Posted to alt.home.repair
Special Ed Special Ed is offline

Default converting an old rotary phone to work now

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
In article ,
"Special Ed" martin@kallikak wrote:

wrote in message
I just got an old rotary phone from an antique store - the original
cord is attached - I want to hook it up and use it in my home - what
do I do??

To test if it works, remove cover from wall jack, touch red and green
wires
from phone to same colors on jack. Listen for dial tone. If you get one,
so
far so good.

Next screw the red and green wires from the phone to the jack and test
for
outgoing and incoming phone calls. If it works, you can just leave it
that
way-- or attach an RJ11 plug to the phone so you can use it an any jack.

Would you be able to use it for outgoing calls or just incoming?

Both if it's working properly-- though as others have pointed out, there is
no touch tone capability so you couldn't Press One For English..... Way
back when, Radio Shack used to sell a pocket sized touch-tone generator-- or
maybe hold the speaker of your cellie up to the mouthpiece of the old phone
and enter them that way.