Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default converting an old rotary phone to work now

On Aug 10, 1:45*pm, wrote:
I just got an old rotary phone from an antique store - the original
cord is attached - I want to hook it up and use it in my home - what
do I do??

It may work just as is. Certainly likely to be able to answer an
incoming call; o if it is in working condition at all.

Many telephone lines, at least those from regular 'line' telcos. Will
still accept the pulses from the rotary dial.

We have such a dial equipped phone in our hallway and it works just
fine, although we tend to use a cordless phone because of ease of use
and ease of pushing buttons and redialling etc.

But when there is the occasional power outage with traditional
telephone systems, often equipped with 24 hour battery back-up,
nothing works better than a plain old fashioned rotary phone.

If you want to test it before hooking up connect a 9 volt battery to
the two wires (often red and green) to see if you hear a click in the
earpiece, also try blowing or talking into the microphone part and see
if you hear something; it's called side-tone (i.e. you should be able
to hear yourself slightly. (Side tone sometimes is called 'Spitch') if
so the phone may work.

However depending on the original quality of the phone (Bell system
standard/Western Elctric/ AE Co. Chicago, for example , whether it is
in good condition and its model you may or may not get good quality
voice transmission, both ways. Although judging by some of the cheap
junk phones that have been sold and in some cases given away an older
standard rotary phone that meets international standards may be
better! I have pre-1950s phones that work just fine.