Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to "de-coke" Epson printer ink jets ?

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 07:31:09 -0700 (PDT), Adam Aglionby wrote:

A set of Epson 890 cartridges cost not a great deal different to a
toner cartridge.

Dunno where you can get colour laser toner from, first hit for 890
ink, £6.99 for black colour pair:

They aren't Epson cartridges but "compatible" ones. Same vendor for Epson
carts £37.48.

Same vendor set of toners for HP2600 £129.99, printer is sub £150 with
full set of toners:

129.99 / 4 = 32.49 - Read what I wrote a set being about the same price
as a toner. Note that they sell HP (new not remanufactured) cartidges at
£63, PC World Business have them at £56. Dabs £51. But note that you'll
get considerably more pages from the laser compared to the inkjet, and
when one colour goes you just repalace that colour not the whole colour
cartridge.

Low cost colour lasers are slow even running mono print, something to
be aware of.

I have a "low cost laser" (HP LJ1200) that'll go from standby to finished
print of a normal letter in about 15 seconds. The Epson 890 might have got
1/4 of the way through it by then.

if I want professional photo prints I get them done online.

That is certainly a good option these days.

For occasional printing probably better value than maintaining an
inkjet.

Agreed, especialy with occasional use and most of the expenisve ink goes
down the drain in cleaning cycles.

--
Cheers
Dave.