Posted to alt.home.repair
boden boden is offline

Default Fill crack between concrete walk and foundation

jacy wrote:
Greetings,

The felt that was installed in the expansion joint between the gangway
sidewalk and our house foundation has pretty much reached the end of
its useful life, especially in certain spots. Rain water -- depending
on the direction of the downpour -- will sometimes seep through the
basement foundation in a couple spots where the felt is particularly
eroded, so I should probably do something sooner rather than later. I
notice my next-door neighbor has patched hers over the years with a
black tarry substance and it looks really funky. Don't want to go
there.

A friend suggested a rubber caulk used by masons in limestone sills
and whatnot but we're talking a long run and I think that stuff is
pretty pricey.

Midwest, lots of seasonal thermal movement. Any suggestions on filling
this joint?

Thanks,
~JMEA

I favor a polyurethane caulk. For a neat application use masking tape.
(on concrete duct tape may be easier to use) and remove before the
caulk has begun to fully cured...a few hours after application.

Make sure to use a backer rod to limit the amount of caulk used. It
will result in a better job.