Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default GFCI and circuit problem

In article , "JohnR66" wrote:
I'm trying to solve an issue at my brothers house. He came home and the
outlets around his kitchen had no power. I found the GFCI was tripped. I
reset, but it trips instantly. I unplugged every device and it still trips.
I bought a new GFCI, still trips.

Next I checked the load side hot to neutral with my meter. Infinity
resistance (nothing pugged in). I checked to be sure I was getting 120 volts
to the black wire and that it was connected to the line side of the GFCI.

Some other notes:
If I bypass the GFCI, The circuit works (no short)
With load side of GFCI not connected, it does not trip.
If I touch the black load side wire to the hot load side of GFCI, no trip.
If I touch the white load side wire to the to the neutral load side of the
CFCI, it trips! (I'm confused on that one)

Bathroom has its own GFCI circuit that works and I can find no outside
outlets on the dead circuit.

I'm puzzled on this one. Any ideas?

Check for dead outlets in the basement and garage.