Young Carpenter

Default Mahogany finish problem

Get a good book on furniture refinishing out of the library this is you
first good bet.
Do the alcohol clean thing suggested. Definitely Seal with a shellac. A.
because Shellac makes a nice sealer. B. Shellac interacts the best (although
not perfectly) with wax and silicon. I would not however even think about
stopping at a shellac on a table. Ack! major discoloration visions in my
head. If you do use WB poly then you may not want the shellac. The poly
may give you fisheye problems though. Do a little read up.

--
Young Carpenter

"Save a Tree, Build Furniture"

"Joe Stefanovich" wrote in message
I bought a table at an estate sale that was made by an
instructor at an Army woodworking hobby shop. It has a beautiful
solid 6/4 + mahogany top sitting on ash frame & legs. Size 2m x 1m.
The problem is that the fellow that made it passed away before he got
around to finishing it. His daughter had been using it as a breakfast
table for about 10 years and all she has ever done is polish the raw
wood with stuff like Pledge or occasionally a paste wax. Is there
anything I can do to get a good finish on the table top with the wood
already permeated with this stuff. There is a profile routed around
the edge of the table so sanding/planing the surface is not an option
I would prefer.

tia

Joe/Albuquerque