Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Aglionby Adam Aglionby is offline

Default How to "de-coke" Epson printer ink jets ?

On Aug 10, 2:27*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 12:05:02 +0100, Owain wrote:
lasers not cheap to run if you want colour and not very good for photos

I thought colour lasers were cheaper to run than inkjets.

I guess that depends on what you feed your inkjet on. Makers branded
cartridges or no name compatibles and if the printer has individually
replaceable colours or just a black one and multiple colour one. All the
colour laser printers I've looked at have seperate colour and black
toners.

A set of Epson 890 cartridges cost not a great deal different to a toner
cartridge. But with all the cleaning and messing about I only get less
than 100 pages (some 6x4 photos, other colour prints) total from a colour
cartridge. I'd expect to get 1000 pages from a laser.

Dunno where you can get colour laser toner from, first hit for 890
ink, £6.99 for black colour pair:

http://www.printcartridgedirect.com/...pack/index.htm

Same vendor set of toners for HP2600 £129.99, printer is sub £150 with
full set of toners:

http://www.printcartridgedirect.com/...-set/index.htm

Lasers much happier with cheaper paper than inkjets.

And produce much sharper denser text and are quicker than an inkjet for
letters etc

Low cost colour lasers are slow even running mono print, something to
be aware of.

if I want professional photo prints I get them done online.

That is certainly a good option these days.

For occasional printing probably better value than maintaining an
inkjet.

Adam

--
Cheers