Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Are electric WH timers worth it

mm wrote:
On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 20:14:52 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

parasitic loads like cable and satellite boxes, doorbells, clocks and
timers, can really add up. some estimate such loads are 25% of ntire
homes power usage

I left my DSL modem on the last time, because I had a friend ocming in
to dl my email. And I left in such a rush at the end (after having 6
months to pack) that I didn't unplug as many clocks and wall warts as
I might have. I'm saving your list and I"ll do better next time.

Then in May, I drove to Texas and spent off and on two hours looking
for my trailer draw bar, and the ratchet-straps I bought. The draw bar
is an unusual size and I was lucky to track down another one in
Florida and have it mailed to me 2-day mail to Texas. The only good
thing is that I've been back 10 weeks and haven't come across any of
the things I couldn't find before I left. I still haven't plugged
in the AC for the cordless phone that I unplugged to save money.

Hi,
Any electronics device is often left plugged in to minimize unwanted
failure.
Failure rate is high when they are starting or stopping. To save a few
bucks, you can end up blowing up a couple hundred bucks worth of a
device. When I was an EIC for a big, big, major data center the system
never got shut down altogether unless there is an absolute reason.
(testing or upgrade, etc.) If we shut down the total system, stabilizing
room temperature, bringing up all the sub systems, always ran into minor
or major component failure(s). Reminds me of penny wise, pound foolish.
I leave everything in the house in stand by or hybernate mode. Never
unplug them. Doing this as long as I remember, nothing bad happened.