Posted to alt.home.repair
David L. Martel David L. Martel is offline

Default UV for killing bacteria in water

Steve,

There are effective UV water purifiers.

I buy a UV light and stick it to my 1 gallon filter tank, how
efficient will it be in killing bacteria?

Consult with a pro since you already have your lab results. I can not
tell you that some unknown light bulb will generate enough energy at the
proper frequency to kill the bacteria nor do I know how long it would take
to sterilize a gallon of water.
You sound as if you want to do this yourself. I'd recommend heading to
the library if there is a good one nearby or get help from the ag extension
folks. Remember that the UV light may damage the filter tank if you are not
careful and it will not be safe for humans.

I've tested my tap water. 90% of harmful stuff isn't present. Problem
is 10% is present.

Take your lab results to a water conditioning company or two and see what
they recommend to correct your water. If it's really expensive or you don't
own the home use bottled water for drinking and cooking.

Dave M.