Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Where can I get a rooftop TV antenna, installed, on a budget?

"UCLAN" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote:

The first review goes like this...

"Design and construction is so flimsy the antenna was unable to support
itself in an upright position without supplemental bracing. All our HD
stations are on the same tower site so the distance to each is 20 miles

(+/-
one mile) and bearings are +/- 2 degrees. Using the autotune feature on

the
TV, this antenna was only able to capture 3 digital signals and unable to
hold any of them long enough to permit viewing a program. A few of the
analog stations were picked up, however, the picture quality was so bad

the
signals it did receive were useless. Got out my $10, 30-year old rabbit
ears, pluggged into my high dollar TV and got 19 digital channels plus
excellent performance on analog. Took the Terk back to Best Buy."

How nice of you to quote back the worst review. How about all of the
"5 Star" reviews, like:

"Before I bought this antenna, I was using a smaller HD antenna that was

shady
at besr. I bought the terk at best buy simply because it was open and they
discounted it. I couldn't believe the difference. I scanned the available
channels again, and discovered that I was now getting at least twice the
number of channels that I was getting with my old HD antenna. I highly
recommend the Terk HDTVa. It may be pricey but it's worth it."

The reason I quoted it was that (assuming it was an honest review, which it
seemed to be) it pointed up the fact that amplified antennas don't always
work very well.

It's also worth noting that the five-star review you quote was from someone
who did not bother to comare the Terk's performance with a pair of rabbit
ears -- which the first reviewer did.