Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken Wright Ken Wright is offline

Default Where can I get a rooftop TV antenna, installed, on a budget?

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 03:21:47 -0700, 1PW wrote:

On 08/08/2008 08:57 PM, Ken Wright sent:

snip

Before spending a lot of money, I suggest you google on "gray-hoverman".
build it and try it in the attic. Hook it up with a balun and rg6 cable.

Hello Ken:

I'm just wondering if, on those days when the roof is wet with rain or
snow, if it might have been best to have used a good quality 300 Ohm
twinlead from the "Gray-Hoverman", and then convert to 75 Ohm at the
last possible moment?

Reason: Higher signal level, and probably better S/N ratio, delivered
to the DTV converter or TV because the coaxial cable, even a very good
quality RG-6, would exhibit so much signal loss at UHF frequencies
versus a good 300 Ohm twinlead.

Granted, the twinlead would need to be carefully routed with the
liberal use of standoffs and a reasonable amount of twists while
avoiding metal and noise producing equipment and/or appliances.

With respect.

I don't doubt good twinlead would be best. But by mounting in an attic
location you will probably need less than 50 feet of coax. My setup is
truly horrible but still works. I have one uhf station off to the
northeast at 44 degrees while all the rest range from 264 to 307 degrees.
The 44 degree station is covered by an old commercial yagi with corner
reflector and the rest of the uhf stations are covered by the
Gray-Hoverman. I have the two conbined with a splitter in the 'attic'
with a single rg6 coax feeding down to the tv room. A couple of the
stations will revert to vhf frequencies after the Feb 09 switch so I have
another splitter combining with the coax feed from two old vhf antennas
which are pole mounted outside. I figure I'm losing about 9 decibels with
the splitters and being located under a roof but it still works pretty
good! Three of the uhf stations are usually in the green zone on the
converter's meter. One uhf station is usually in the yellow but seems
fine. I'm still waiting for one uhf station to come on the air, so I don't
know about it yet.

kw