Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson Tom Watson is offline

Default FedEx Freight

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 12:19:20 -0700, "M.Paul"
wrote:

Just a warning to those ordering heavy equipment...
My Grizzly bandsaw arrived this week. Before shipping Grizzly sent an email
asking me to agree to shipping terms which included a statement that the
driver would not assist in unloading the package from the truck. I figured
that it was just BS and agreed. Not only would the driver not assist, they
wanted $50 to operate the lift!!! Fortunately there were 2 boxes (dividing
the load) and a friend and I were able to muscle the boxes off the truck.
Sure enough on the FedEx receipt was information detailing extra charges for
lift use. Geez for the price I paid to ship the thing I would think lift
use would be included. What a rip/scam!

From the Grizzly website:

"Truck drivers are subject to a number of regulations, one of which is
that they are not required to give assistance unloading. Please be
prepared for this "curbside" delivery, as you are responsible for
unloading the item(s) and placing them in your shop. This normally
takes a couple of "friends". Your location must be tractor-trailer
accessible. We recommend that you make arrangements with the trucking
company to take delivery at the freight terminal if you can. They
will load it onto your vehicle. Make sure your vehicle is capable of
handling the weight. Also, bring plenty of tie downs to properly
secure the load.

We have a discounted lift program available. Please ask your order
taker for more details."

Now, WTF was it about the above that you did not understand?

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet