Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default FedEx Freight

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 13:08:23 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
.. .
It is usually a union thing. Most if not all trucking company drivers
are members of the Teamsters Union.

It's also a Health and Safety thing. The last thin the delivery
company wnats is to pay out Workman's Comp for back injuries. I bet
they instruct their drivers NOT to help.

-Zz

The driver's responsibility is to get the freight to the back of the truck.

Many drivers will do more in the interest of time. They may choose to drop
a crate on the dock rather than wait for a forklift, etc. Once is a while,
they may ask that we use our forklift to reposition a pallet for the next
stop. Courtesy goes both ways.

Last year I bought a Jet oscillating sander (I think it is about 300
pounds). I did not expect any help from the driver, so I had a strong
friend over to help me get it off the truck. The driver went out of
his way to help and offered to help get it into my shop. We talked
with the driver for 10-15 minutes, just small talk. Personally, I want
to help anyone, a stranger, I see struggling. It doesn't cost
anything to be courteous, and to those who are not, well, what can I
say?