Posted to rec.woodworking
David G. Nagel[_2_] David G. Nagel[_2_] is offline

Default FWIW - OT MESSAGE HEADERS

Rod & Betty Jo wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:
What I'm saying is that with Bill Gates illegally monopolizing the PC
operating system scene for the past 30 years, instead of healthy
competition where the best products are used, the consumer has been
stuck in using the worlds worst operating system, and have been stuck
there for around 30 years. Vista seems to be no different, or
possibly the worse of the bunch from what I've been hearing.

My first XT(Amstrad) computer came with Digital Research's ver. of DOS and
GEM (a early graphical interface)....it became a far more useful machine
with Microsoft's DOS and WORKS ....easily doing payroll, billing and
contracts for my business......Gates held no gun to my or anyone's
head....the market place clearly chose his products. His competitors for
many years were all well larger, better placed and better
funded.....including IBM (world largest computer company then).......To
think his then little company conquered all by nefarious means is simple
ignorance. Incidentally his insistence to own and sell DOS and license it to
IBM instead of selling it to IBM is why we have and had a very competitive
PC business. Rod

Rod;

It should also be pointed out that IBM, when they came up with their
computer, sought out Bill and his buddy and asked them to create the OS
for their radical new computer. Bill originally wanted to sell the OS to
IBM but IBM didn't want to have to support the code. The rest as they
say is history.

Dave N