Posted to rec.woodworking

Default FedEx Freight

Well, this is certainly one of the stranger whines I have seen here
lately. Here's what I read:

" I knowing entered into a written contract after reading it and
understanding its contents. My confirmation of understanding its
terms and conditions is verified by my signature agreeing to them.

Well... those sorry *******s not only did what they said they would
do, but stuck straight to the contract.

They didn't give me anything extra, nor did they operate outside the
terms of the signed agreement.

What bunch of sorry asses."

Nitwits like that are the reason people need detailed contracts. To
steal from Mark Twain, "folks seem to 'disremeber' the things they
want to pretty easy".

Believe it or not, I have a client like that about once a year. For
example: "Well Robert, I know you said you and your guys specifically
wouldn't do the electrical work and that you would call a licensed
electrician if I decided to change the plugs, but how hard is it to
change out and those kitchen plugs and convert them to the GFE things
you are talking about?"

Using the bizarre logic of the OP, the remind me of how much they are
spending with me (on a job I had to use a sharp pencil to get!), and
yet want even more free.

Yet as with the last guy that approached me with that, he was stumped
at my analogy. He was an accountant. So I said, "If I came in one
day and paid off my account as per our agreement for your services,
how would you respond if I told you that you should give me two free
hours of accounting/tax time simply because I paid my bill?"

I could see the gear grinding, but alas, no answer. Worse, he was now
embarrassed so he acted like a prick for a few days.

Sometimes with the old farts I get the old "well, in my day we used to
do electrical work with a set of broken pliers, a chipped screwdriver
and some bailing wire, and we never burned anything down." I hand
them a pair of pliers and s screwdriver; "there's always another
chance for you, sir".

I have a friend that has been shuffling freight for many years in the
business. He told YEARS ago that simply because there is a gate on
the truck, the driver may not be authorized or qualified to use it.
And like the poster above that got a tiny package in a huge truck,
they have to send the truck at hand or the one that makes the most
sense when they are fulfilling their contractual obligations. It is
not the responsibility of the company to make sure it makes sense to
the guy that gets the package.

Further, the OP shows his ignorance of the business world by never
having had the pleasure of being sued. If the driver does something
that the company was not contracted to do and there is a problem, who
pays? Who pays if the items falls off the lift, the lift
malfunctions, etc.?

If the driver doesn't have to push, heave, lift, pry, strain or
anything else, chances of injury are small. So no back injuries
likely. Shipping is less as less coverage is needed, and only one guy
is needed for the delivery.

About four years ago, this same guy bought an entire Jet shop from
Amazon. I sat and listened while he organized the delivery. "Who do
you guys use? Do they have lifts, are they available? What is box
floor height? Can I switch freighters?"

He had all his stuff sent to the DSL distribution point, and sent a
"hot shot" moving company out there to retrieve all of it for him.
Amazon shipping: free. Burly guys that thought picking up
palletized machines was a piece of cake with their pallet jack,

delivery of same to the driveway next to the garage (shop) door: $175
for his tablesaw, 15" planer, monster dust collector, and 16" bandaw.

I guess none of that matters, though. I am still shaking my head...

....they told me in writing they were going to do something and they
did it...

To complain about that is odd indeed.

I should have such luck on a daily basis.

Robert