Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Best way to un-weld pipe?

(Doug Miller) wrote:

I can do it with a cutoff wheel and a grinder, but it takes a while.
Anybody got a good way to get these off pretty fast? It doesn't have
to be that pretty.

Cutting torch. Sawzall with a metal-cutting blade. Take your pick.

If you don't have the torch and you do have the sawzall, a decent inverter and your pickup
or car will work out fine. I've had best results with cutting steel with sawzalls if I
drip a bit of oil into the cut. My brother the electrican put a 2KW inverter in his
service truck to avoid having to bring his 5kw generator out to the job site. Uncle has a
1.5KW inverter with anderson powerpole connectors so he can connect to his truck battery
to run the elevation motor on our band mill.

I'm a wimp, only have a 300 watt in my car connected by cigaratte lighter socket to run
camera, laptop, and battery chargers on trips. Figure out what your saw needs and double
it for startup as a minimum

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller