Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default UV for killing bacteria in water

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 12:31:43 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

What's the cleanest (from the harmful crap like bacteria/lead/etc)
bottled water anyone? Bay area tap water has high counts of bacteria &
floride. And is it true a simple UV light will kill 99.9% of bacteria
in water? TIA.

It is true that UV will kill bacteria, but obviously depends on the
strength and duration of the exposure. UV kills human skin cells too,
and hopefully the skin repairs itself quickly without growing cancer
cells.

The absolute cleanest water is distilled water that has been
de-gassed. It doesn't taste too good and not practical for drinking,
but it is as pure as it gets. Possibly drinking bottled water has
higher risks than drinking tap water. A good compromise is using a
canister pitcher with filter, such as a Britta. I think it makes
better tasting tea/coffee.

Don't be too germ phobic. I heard a dog's mouth is much cleaner
than a human's mouth and people don't even lick their own butt.