Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Cleaning In-Wall Drier Vent????????HELP??????

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 21:01:35 -0400, Kenneth
wrote:

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 12:49:52 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Kenneth wrote:
On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 19:42:04 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE
wrote:

Next I plan to modify the box so I can let the filtered warm air
into
the house during the winter.

Jimmie

Hi Jimmie,

I know that it is tempting, but there are significant health
risks. You would be loading the air with particles that
cannot be seen, but do lodge in your lungs.

There might be ways (heat exchangers) to capture the energy,
but breathing the warm vent air is not the way to go.

People have been using water trap dryer vents for decades with no
problems.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2213960_drye...ic-dryers.html
tells how to make one from a 5-gallon bucket, or you can buy them on
ebay for 8 bucks or so.

--

Hi John,

I took a look at the link you provided.

If I understand the instructions correctly, the vented air
goes across the water, rather than through the water.

Do I have that right?

If so, it would reduce the particulates, but certainly not
eliminate them.

And that raises a question:

When you say "People have been using water trap dryer vents
for decades with no problems" what leads you to believe that
there have been no problems?

I'm not a "sky is falling" sort, but I do know that
breathing the sort of fine particulates produces by a dryer
is a serious matter.

You may certainly be correct in your assessment that the
bucket technique is a good one, but the fact that it is done
frequently does not tell us much about its actual safety.

I'd be interested in learning more about it if you might
have further information.

All the best,

The indoor vent is a good idea for electric dryers if you want/need
additional moisture and heat in your house. But still, indoor venting
will add more dust than venting to the outdoors.