Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self Charlie Self is offline

Default FedEx Freight

On Aug 8, 3:19 pm, "M.Paul" wrote:
Just a warning to those ordering heavy equipment...
My Grizzly bandsaw arrived this week. Before shipping Grizzly sent an email
asking me to agree to shipping terms which included a statement that the
driver would not assist in unloading the package from the truck. I figured
that it was just BS and agreed. Not only would the driver not assist, they
wanted $50 to operate the lift!!! Fortunately there were 2 boxes (dividing
the load) and a friend and I were able to muscle the boxes off the truck.
Sure enough on the FedEx receipt was information detailing extra charges for
lift use. Geez for the price I paid to ship the thing I would think lift
use would be included. What a rip/scam!

As John Clarke notes that's SOP. I'm a little surprised at the refusal
to use the lift gate, though. Never had that happen. There is usually
an extra charge for sending the gear out on a liftgate equipped truck,
not for using the damfool gate after arrival at the delivery point.
Stupid of FedEx, IMO.

In the good, old days, I used to get gear delivered at the top of my
drive (couple tight turns that a semi can't negotiate decently), onto
my pick-up. The driver, except for one with a bad back, always helped.
That brought him 10 bucks. I built my shop so that a full-sized pick-
up could back right up to the sliding doors and drop the load, which
means that for anything 500 pounds and down, I could usually at least
walk it off. For 500 and up, I called a friend. Usually, anyway. Some
machines walk more easily than others, and I equipped the shop with an
engine crane (best $150 I EVER spent) and a variety of come-alongs to
move the larger iron. I think the worst was a Grizz 24" bandsaw at
something like a very tall 750 pounds.

That said, there is NO requirement that a driver touch the material on
his truck for most companies. That's a big draw when companies are
short of drivers and hiring. No load handling.

Today's driver is usually in a fancy uniform, while these guys were in
ratty old khakis or jeans, so maybe that's the real difference.