Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] spamTHISbrp@yahoo.com is offline

Default Best way to un-weld pipe?

On Aug 9, 1:14*am, Grant Erwin wrote:
Sparks wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote:

In article , (Sparks) wrote:

(Doug Miller) wrote:

Cutting torch. Sawzall with a metal-cutting blade. Take your pick.

Thanks! I tried the sawzall. It works, but takes a while. And it eats
up the blades pretty fast. The pipe is about 3/16 wall thickness.

Are you using Milwaukee blades? :-)

Now that I look, yes! In fact, they are labeled "The Torch" :-) It's
not a Milwaukee saw, though.

I'd be interested in any tricks to keep the blade from overheating
(other than "wait" that seems to be what does them in.

That would be some kind of coolant. I recently discovered a spray can product
made by Union Butterfield which works great and is very portable. It's
basically a drilling fluid but it would work fine for keeping a sawzall
blade cool too.

I think you should try cutting this with a torch. You might nick the
parent pipe a little, but you will rapidly learn and gain confidence. It should
be an order of magnitude faster than a sawzall.

Grant- Hide quoted text -

Graduate school is learning to cut one exhaust pipe from the inside of
a larger one that its a press fit into, and has been clamped for
years.

Man, that's a lifesaver now and then!

Dave