Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default right way to do a half fast fix?

aemeijers wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

I'm trying to tighten up my garage a little bit... there's two windows
on the lower level that were installed in a block wall with brick
facing. Unfortunately whoever did this didn't have a freaking clue
what he was doing, and to make matters worse, he was using brick with
holes in it, not solid brick, so a lot of the half bricks are really
messily split. There's gaps all around, and they were just shoved
full of fiberglass insulation - the only thing that kept this from
being a rot factory is that the upper level overhangs the lower level
by about a foot. I dug out most of the insulation and spray foamed
the heck out of it. What would be the best way to finish this off -
just trim the foam with a knife and paint right over it, or should I
put a skim coat of caulking over it before paint? I will need to go
back and caulk some places where the gap was appropriate and I
couldn't get the spray foam nozzle in it.

I know the RIGHT thing to do would be to knock out the brick and have
a mason come back and do it right, and then have a window guy put new
windows in (and if I were going to do that, I'd relocate both of them
so that they'd not interfere with walls and/or the stair stringer like
they do now... yeah, really...) but this is a garage, after all, and I
have stuff to spend my $$$ on in the house...

ideas?

nate

can you post some pictures somewhere? We can give better ideas when we
can see what the problem is.
--
aem sends...

I'll try to get some up this weekend... I just foamed up some of the
gaping cavities (I ran out of spray foam last night; I woefully
underestimated what it'd take to do this) so if I take a pic now all
you'll see is gloppy expanding foam all over the place. I don't feel
like going back out there at the moment, either - despite the fact that
I don't have any standing water back there, the area by the garage is a
veritable skeeter-fest at the moment.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.