Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default right way to do a half fast fix?

Nate Nagel wrote:
I'm trying to tighten up my garage a little bit... there's two windows
on the lower level that were installed in a block wall with brick
facing. Unfortunately whoever did this didn't have a freaking clue what
he was doing, and to make matters worse, he was using brick with holes
in it, not solid brick, so a lot of the half bricks are really messily
split. There's gaps all around, and they were just shoved full of
fiberglass insulation - the only thing that kept this from being a rot
factory is that the upper level overhangs the lower level by about a
foot. I dug out most of the insulation and spray foamed the heck out of
it. What would be the best way to finish this off - just trim the foam
with a knife and paint right over it, or should I put a skim coat of
caulking over it before paint? I will need to go back and caulk some
places where the gap was appropriate and I couldn't get the spray foam
nozzle in it.

I know the RIGHT thing to do would be to knock out the brick and have a
mason come back and do it right, and then have a window guy put new
windows in (and if I were going to do that, I'd relocate both of them so
that they'd not interfere with walls and/or the stair stringer like they
do now... yeah, really...) but this is a garage, after all, and I have
stuff to spend my $$$ on in the house...

ideas?

nate

can you post some pictures somewhere? We can give better ideas when we
can see what the problem is.
--
aem sends...