Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dishwasher hot water usage

On Thu 07 Aug 2008 11:34:14a, Anagram told us...

When a dishwasher uses hot water from a hot water pipe, does it know it
should wait till the hot water runs hot, or does it just go ahead and
get whatever comes out of the pipe?

If a dishwasher has the capability of heating its own water, would it
make sense to connect it to the cold water? If it gets cold water from
the hot water pipe, then, by the time it finishes getting the water it
wants, the hot water pipe would start to get hot, which would be wasted
while waiting for the dishwasher to use it again. That problem would be
solved by connecting it to cold instead of hot, so no hot would ever be
wasted. Right?

This may have already been said, as I have not read the entire thread.

There are 3 basic types of dishwasher technology when it comes to the
temperature of water.

Basic low-end dishwashers don't heat the water at all. They depend
entirely on the proper temperature of water coming from the source.

Some dishwashers have "heat assist" but still depend on using hot water as
the source. The heat assist will help to bring to maintain the proper
temperature. this category probably represents most mid-line models.

Higher-end dishwashers usually have a switchable option which will heat the
water to the proper temperature. The downside of connecting it to the cold
water line, however, is the length of time it takes to heat each batch of
water used during a full cycle. Often there one or two pre-rinses, a wash
cycle (sometimes two), and anywhere from two to four final rinse cycles.
Using cold water as a source could cause the full cycle to run for hours.

Our dishwasher is one that has "heat assist". I always make sure that I
run the water at the faucet until it is steaming hot before starting the
dishwasher. It gives the best results.

HTH

Date: Friday, August(VIII) 8th(VIII),2008(MMVIII)

Countdown till Labor Day