Posted to alt.architecture,alt.planning.urban,alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Lead Paint Regs

On Aug 8, 7:11 am, "George Conklin" wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message

On Aug 7, 1:07 pm, Blattus Slafaly
wrote:
Pat wrote:
I was just wondering who was doing what in response to the new EPA
lead rules that take effect in 2010.

I took the safe work practices course way back when, when it was all
new. So I guess I'm okay, But this new rule seems like it can stand
things on it head for most people because there's no way they are
going to be able to train every contractor in the country be
mid-2010.

It seems like the reg could have some serious, practical
consequences. For example, if the contractor sets up a work zone,
neither the architect nor the building inspector could enter the area
if they don't have training. Homeowners really shouldn't be allowed
back in the work area until it's cleared, and clearance can take a
week or so. All the testing, clearance, etc will add time and money
to projects.

What are most people doing, just ignoring it and hope nothing bad
happens.

Most lead paint is covered with siding or painted over. It will be there
for hundreds or even 1000's of years.

Absolutely, positively not.

Windows, including interior were big. Much (if not most) of things
with bright colors such as red or orange. Big red doors from the '50s
are loaded with it. Some varnishes had lead. It's a big problem in
many areas. Besides, under the new rule, if you go put on vinyl
siding, you need to use lead-safe work practices.

The putty in windows was almost pure lead. My father swore by lead
putty, and he was a chemist. He worked it in his hands to keep it flexible.
He died at age 90. It must have shortened his life.

Actually, to an adult I don't think lead is particular bad for you.
It's only bad during your developmental years. Heck, how many of us
put pure lead sinkers into our mouths while fishing.

For birds, the lead shot is bad because the birds pick it up and it
hurts the eggs and endangers the flock. So lead is banned as shot for
migratory water fowl. Ironic that the danger of lead is in the
swallowing of it, not the shooting of it at the birds.

As for the kids, I have been told that what makes lead particularly
dangerous is that it tastes very sweet so they actually like eating
it.