Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default right way to do a half fast fix?

On Aug 8, 12:04*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
N8N wrote:
On Aug 8, 8:13 am, "David L. Martel" wrote:
Nate,

* *Sorry but I don't understand your problems. Perhaps some pictires
of these gaps or whatever would help. Why are you insulating your
garage?

because I am running a dehumidifier in it now to keep my tools from
rusting, car upholstery from mildewing, etc. (I live near DC where
simply leaving something in an unconditioned space will ruin it) and
am considering adding a heat pump to make it a little more usable in
the summer/winter. *The walls are already insulated and sheetrocked on
the inside.

It
sounds as if you want to somehow seal around these windows but why
that's a problem is not clear. Is it the framing of the windows that
is bad?

the windows just don't fit their openings. *The gap ranges from 1/8"
to 3/4" between the window trim and the brick, and it was never
caulked.

Were
these half bricks installed backwards

Some of them were, yes. *It looks like someone started to lay the
brick for smaller windows and then decided to put bigger ones in and
instead of knocking out the brick and starting over they just busted
the ends of the bricks off. *It looks "OK but not great" to about 3/4
of the way up the windows (double hung BTW) and then it all goes to
heck in a handbasket.

Maybe some really wide faux trim?

Hmm, that gives me another idea, I could conceivably built a frame out
of 1xwhatever around the brick opening and then use trim on the face
of the brick, kind of like you'd normally see on the inside of a
window? then the gaps would be small enough to caulk and I'd just
fill the void with foam before putting the face trim on. Maybe...?

nate