Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default After No. 1300 . . .

On Aug 8, 1:10 am, charlieb wrote:

But - with all the possibilities out there - as of right now - knowing
new ones will pop up almost daily - how do folks stick to one type
of turning?

Personally, I don't even have one remote clue or guess.

When we have our meetings, we have most guys that get up for show and
tell with their projects. Most of the time, it is bowl. If they are
happy, I am happy for them.

When it was my time, I passed around my wood handled, copper feruled,
double tined kabob skewers. Some of the guys loved it. But others
sat wondering.... no bowl? Not even a mini plate?

Next up on the drawing board for me is a European style furniture
assembly mallet. I will have to carefully measure what I do so I can
repeat it if I like it.

It will look a bit like an old 2lb mason's hand sledge, with the
bottom of the head being straight but rounded, and the top (here's the
offset part for the head) will be curved down a bit to give it some
dimension.

The handle will be shaped like a wood hammer handle, which will
require both sides of the blank which is 1 1/4" thick and 2" across to
be offset to form the pommel of the handle.

When the handle shape is being finalized, the trick will be when to
move the handle back to center on the head side so that I can turn the
handle round and mount it cleanly in the head.

I am sure I will generate some new smoker fodder when I am trying the
handle design since the whole thing will be out of white oak. (Sorry
to any Euro folks, but no traditional beech is around in S. Texas.)

The hardest thing I have to get squared away now is finding a 2 - 3
inch across piece of saddle thickness leather for the cushion side of
the mallet. So far, no luck. The intent was to glue the leather to
the mallet head and turn and finish it for an exact fit to the wood on
the lathe. So far though, no 1/4" thick hide.

Personally, unless I have a really pretty piece of wood or unless I am
showing someone how to do it, I have lost interest in turning simple
round things on the lathe.

Robert