Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin Grant Erwin is offline

Default Best way to un-weld pipe?

Sparks wrote:

I've got an old fence I want to salvage some pipe from. It's a two
rail fence made out of 2 3/8 drill pipe. I've cut the top rail off of
the uprights, but I'm left with a short stub of pipe welded on every
12 feet. I need to cut those off.

I can do it with a cutoff wheel and a grinder, but it takes a while.
Anybody got a good way to get these off pretty fast? It doesn't have
to be that pretty.

You could get most of it off quite quickly with a plasma cutter or O/A torch.
If you aren't scared of warping, you can try a flushing tip on your torch.
If you have an arc gouging gun, you could also scarf off the welds, that's
quick and dirty.

Grant