Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are electric WH timers worth it

On Aug 7, 9:47*am, ransley wrote:
On Aug 6, 8:31*pm, "Jordan" wrote:

I just started thinking about getting an electric water heater timer for my
3 year old 30 gallon water heater. *I checked some of the reviews for the
Intermatic timers and it looks like everybody loves them and they say they
practically get their $40 bucks back each month.

Are timers all they seem to be cracked up to be and will turning off the
water heater from 10 PM to 8 AM really save a family of 4 a big chunk of
change each month?

Nobody is getting 40 back, My total bill for the electric tank was
under 40 a month, I know because that is how much it went down when I
switched to Ng. Do a test, my tank still had warm water in it after 5
days when I would leave and turn off the power. See how much it drops
overnight, you will be just reheating it and may save nothing.

Of course it has to be reheated, but once again, that DOES NOT
TRANSLATE INTO SAVING NOTHING. In fact, the more it has to be
reheated, the MORE he saves. You do have one good point here, and
that is to measure the water temp one night just before turning it
off, then measure again in the AM before turing it back on. The
smaller the temp drop, the less energy will be saved. That should
give a good indication of how practical it would be. Could it be so
small that it's not worth it? Sure. But that is different than
saying it doesn't actually save any energy at all.

Insulate pipes and the tank, that will save money, turn down the temp
so you only need hot water for a shower, that will save alot.