Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default Transfer switch instalation problem

Hi All,

I want to install transfer switch for backup generator but am severely
restricted in my choice of locations. Main 200-amp service entry is
in kitchen in our basement-less house and the spaces on either side of
the box are inaccessible for a variety of reasons, leaving only a
space in the wall directly below the main panel. Is there any reason
why I should not install the TS upside down at that location? (The
wiring harness of the unit I mean to buy seem to come out the bottom
of the TS.)

Dennis

Operationally, no, it wouldn't make any difference to anything except
any meters would not be accurate upside down; they are balanced to be
right side up, so they would always want to migrate to the center of the
scale/s. I don't think they would even be good for balancing your loads
between the two sides that way.

For my Emergen, I just extended the wires with some clamp-on connectors
and mounted it right side up.
Note: Check your local codes: I had to add an external "disconnect
device" (plug/socket) to the wall of the house so it could be unplugged
easily, even though you could just unplug the cable from the genset.
The darned cable to the genset is expensive, but it's worth the
effort, especially when you're only doing a periodic maintenance run.
It's SO much easier to plug it in and flip a few breakers in the TS!
I passed inspection on the first-go so must have done a reasonably OK
job.

HTH